Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Coconut & Lime Original Oil Painting

Photobucket I’m making a coconut flan for a pot luck gathering we’ll be attending on Saturday. This got me thinking about how nutritious the coconut really is. In Cuba, coconut pastelitos, flan, and drinks used to be a staple in the diet. Coconut provides a nutritious source of meat, juice, milk, and oil that has fed and nourished populations around the world for generations. It’s highly nutritious and rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

Accoding to The Coconut Research Center the scientific name for coconut is Cocos nucifera. Early Spanish explorers called it coco, which means "monkey face" because the three indentations (eyes) on the hairy nut resembles the head and face of a monkey. Nucifera means "nut-bearing."

In homage of the nutritious “coco”, I’m posting my original painting of this tropical fruit.
Oh, if you’d like the recipe that I’ll be making, stay tuned. I’ll be posting it soon.

No comments: