Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Practice Portraits








I have been following Carol Nelson's painting challenge, 100 Portraits in 100 Days. Frankly, I don't know how she does it since she's not only very good but a very fast painter. Even though I paint landscapes in one sitting on occasion, my oils need time to set and that sometimes takes days! But anyway, each time I paint something I learn something new, most artists will agree. So, in my effort to become a better (portrait) painter, and finding inspiration in Carol's efforts, I'm going to do something similar but with no time constraints. The object is for me to improve my painting skills in general, and my portrait skills, in particular. So it's not quite the same challenge as hers, since I won't be under the gun to do a certain amount of paintings in a certain number of days. I'll take it as it comes.

This is my plan. I've posted my first painting. My cousin in Spain sent me this picture of her daughter, Eva, some time back and always thought it would make a good painting. She's sooo cute!

Anyway, if you would like a painting of yourself or someone you love, please email me a digital image of the person's face from the shoulders up as you see in Eva's picture. If there is a strong light on one side of the face so that a shadow is cast, that would be even better. Carol talks about this in her blog and it is better for the overall outcome of the painting. This is a totally gratis effort for you. If you would like to receive the painting after I've completed it, please pay for the shipping (USPS) and nothing more. You give me the right to publish your painting in my blog. That is all. If I get more requests than I can handle...well, I would love the practice!

If you are interested in being my subject, please send me your digital photo to:




Thank you!




No comments: