Friday, November 19, 2010

Pomegranate or Granada

Pomegranate-Granada

This month's challenge for the Paint and Draw Together blog was a luscious and lovely pomegranate or in Spanish, granada. To be perfectly honest, I have never in my life, eaten one of these fruits. And from reading about the best growing conditions, I can tell that they're not grown in south Florida, generally. I did love the chiaroscuro quality of the photo itself and thought that it would be an interesting challenge. Well, challenge, it was and I spent far more time on it then normal. I worked and re-worked those little seeds! And I'm not sure they convey the same lusciousness as the original photo but hey, I tried, and had fun, learned a thing or two...

For example, did you know that according to lore, with its abundance of seeds, the fruit has long been a symbol of fertility, bounty, and eternal life, particularly to those of the Jewish faith? Many paintings of the Madonna Virgin and Child prominently display a pomegranate. Ancient Egyptians were buried with pomegranates in hope of rebirth.  

I didn't know that!

Dimension: 5x7 gallery wrap canvas
Media: Oils
Click here if you'd like to see more images of my Granada.

3 comments:

Kim Vanlandingham said...

Great job on it. Love that you did the research about the folklore of it too.

Pandora Lee Pensiero said...

I wanted to say that I love pomegranates! They grow like crazy here! They are quite messy and stain evrything! There is an orchard that I go to each year to get the juice because it is so much work to juice them! I make pomegranate jelly every year for Christmas. (MBFCF loves the jelly and I make her extra portions each year.) :-D Right now there is a huge bag of pomegranates on my door step from a neighbor who begged me to take them! If you lived by, I would bring them to you! They are a bit sour, but are a beautiful color. I'd love to send you some jelly if you'd like. E-mail me if you would like some (as soon as I make it). You can check me out with Marta, to be sure I'm not a complete weirdo!

Maria Soto Robbins said...

Dear Pam,
Thank you so much for your kind offer! I don't know what to say...Of course I know you are Marta's bff from MBFCF and that says it all!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and again Thank YOU!!!