Thursday, October 27, 2011

Work in progress

Still working on this sunflower oil painting and having a lot of fun with it. Glazing is something I haven't done too much of and I've glazed the leaves with at least a dozen different coats of thin paint, in different colors of the yellow family. In glazing, you need to let each layer dry completely before applying another layer so it becomes very time consuming. You can use mediums to speed up the process but I've only been using linseed oil to thin the paint with my water mixable oils.


The center, however, in a typical sunflower is composed of numerous disk flowers and I wanted to capitalize on this area and have thick impasto since I know my collector likes this technique. So, what you see in the center, is the background for the impasto which will be added later. I'm not too happy with the leaves showing in the upper left flower. Will have to work on that...


I really like the red background contrasting with the yellows. Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

sabrita said...

Love it Maria. The red background is very striking and really makes the sunflowers pop. Well done!

Maria Soto Robbins said...

Thank you, Sabrita!