Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lemon for Rookiepainter

Copyright 2010 Maria Soto Robbins

I've just discovered this neat challenge site, Rookiepainter.  I thought it would be fun to try painting this lemon as part of this month's challenge. Check it out, there have been many great entries.

And as I was finishing it up though, I thought about the name lemon in Spanish. Lemon or lime is easy in English (lemon is yellow; lime is green).  If I was to translate, would I call it simply limón or would it be limón amarillo? I recall that in Cuba we would never use this type of citrus, really. It would always be the green lime and it would be referred as "limón". The mojitos, mojo and limonadas would all use the green lime. I know that in Puerto Rico, the green ones are sometimes referred to as "limas".  In Mexico as limón verde, which makes a lot of sense, "green lime".  Whatever. Spanish can be so convoluted sometimes! Both fruits are delicious in their own right!

Dimension: 5x7 canvas panel
Medium: Oils (with gently textured impasto)

Click here for more information about Lemon for Rookiepainter

4 comments:

Marta Benicá said...

Olá, são lindas as suas pinturas. Vou te seguir.Um grande abraço e bom fim de semana.

Maria Soto Robbins said...

Ola, Marta. Grazie!

Angela Sullivan said...

Love the lemons.

Maria Soto Robbins said...

Thank you, Angela!