Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sunflower Sunshine

Art Prints






This 8x10 oil painting started out as a study for a bigger sunflower painting I recently worked on. You may remember this commission. Anyway, the contrast of red, yellows and the brown center was very pleasing to my eye, so I went with it. 


When initially doing a study, of course, it's usually rough and you might not even apply enough paint. You'll maybe do one layer, or rough sketch, just to see how you'll approach the subject.  After I finished with this initial study, I decided to give it a couple of more layers of the oil paints, and really thickened up the center of the flower. It kind of painted itself! I'm very happy that my little study didn't get discarded after its intended purpose was accomplished!  

Sunflower Sunshine is available here.






No comments: