Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Poinsettia Sgraffito Impasto Oil Painting

Copyright 2010 Maria Soto Robbins

I recently mentioned about how my poinsettias are inspiring me this holiday season.  You can read about it here.  There are several other ideas that I have for painting this lovely flower but a technique I hadn't tried before is sgraffito (not to be confused with graffiti-lol).  I think you can guess that this involves "scratching" or "sgraffitoing" the surface of the painting through various layers of the rich, impasto oil paint. The end of a brush is a common tool but I just used the sharp end of a palette knife. Actually there was very little brushwork on this one, mostly palette knives. It came out very sculptural and three dimensional. It certainly was fun to do and I hope you like it!  

Check out the prints and cards on Poinsettia Sgraffito Impasto Oil painting here.

msr107@gmail.com

2 comments:

Kim Vanlandingham said...

I think it came out really cool! I like texture in paintings.

Maria Soto Robbins said...

Thank you, Kimberly. I like texture too!